Inti Raymi – Preferred Seating Green
Inti Raymi, the “Festival of the Sun”, is celebrated in Cusco every year on June 24th; where more than 200 thousand people come together to witness the most beautiful re-enactment of the most important festival of the Inca empire to celebrate the winter solstice. The solstice begins on the 21st of June, but according to a sundial used by the Incas, the sun stays some days in the same place before rising on the 24th of June. This day is acknowledged as the Inti Raymi!
The Inti Raymi is now the second largest festival on South America and for this reason you must book this tour well in advance.
Settings for the Inti Raymi Ceremony:
The celebration of the “Inti Raymi” on June 24th , in honor of the Sun God, is made in the three historic and natural sceneries:
- The “QORIKANCHA” or the temple of the Sun of the Incas; here the celebration begins at 9:00am and last for 45 minutes.
- The “Plaza de Armas”, “HAUQAYPATA” or the main square; in the time of the Incas this vast square was used for important ceremonies, which took place entirely in the great “ushnu” or ceremonial platform. The ceremony here begins at 11:00 and ends one hour later.
- “SACSAYWAMAN” .- it’s located at 2 kms from the city of Cusco at 3,560 masl. The name is in the ancient language used by the Incas (Qhechua). Here the ceremony begins at 13:30pm and is for 1:30 hours.
Acts, Ceremonies and Rituals during the Inti Raymi:
- Ceremonial Introduction
- Report the army from the four regions: Qollasuyu, Kuntisuyu, Antisuyu and Chinchaysuyu.
- Ritual of the sacred “Chicha” a corn drink made by the chosen women (the most beautiful girls of the Empire)
- Ritual of the Holy Fire.
- Sacrifice of the llama (Andean cameloid) and auguries.
- Rite of the “Sankhu” (holy bread)
- “Q’ochurikuy” ( Dances and music)
Let’s start the celebration!!!!
Before 7:00am we will pick you up from your hotel and then transfer you to the Q’oricancha (the temple of the sun) where the fiesta begins. Here are many typical musicians and they open the festival when the Inca court with its many nobles enter.
Finally the Inca and his Coya (wife/sister) enter and there is a ceremony of veneration to the sun. The procession then continues to Huakaypata (main square) where the generals inspect the the imperial army and the Inca makes another ceremony.
After this the Inca court takes it way to Sacsayhuaman. You will take our bus to this impressive fortress.
1pm – The principal ceremony is held at Sacsayhuaman. The representation of the Inca is one of Pachacutec, which is the Inca in which the sun god (Inti) reveal his might and strength. The armies come from the four quarters (suyos) of Tahuantinsuyo (the Inca Empire) and there are different ceremonies for fire, coca, and the four quarters of the empire as well as for the future of the empire. The ceremony lasts about 90 minutes and is in Quechua but visually is powerful. Your guide will also be able to translate sections or parts of the ceremonies.
Between 3 and 4pm your guide will transfer you back to your hotel or San Francisco square placed 2 blocks from main square to continue exploring the city by yourself or go for lunch.
– Pick up from your hotel
– Inti Raymi entrance ticket
– Professional tour guide English spoken in regular/pool service
– Box Lunch (vegetarian option under request)
– Complete tour:
– Starting ceremony at Q´oricancha,
– Salutes at the main square, and
– Main ceremony at Sacsayhuaman
– Internationals and/or domestic tickets
– Meals and beverages (not mentioned)
– Personal expenses
– Any details not mentioned at the itinerary or at section”Include”
– Hat or cape
– Sun block (cream or spray)
– Sun glasses
– 01 extra water bottled
– Snacks (dry fruit, cookies etc)
– Long sleeve shirt or T-shirt
– Tennis or walking shoes
– Extra money – cash in local currency (Soles)
– Personal medication
– Camera with extra batteries and memory cards
This Tour is non-transferable, non-reimbursable and the participant cannot change the date of departure.
If during the length of the program the traveler abandons the excursion due to altitude, health, or for any other reason, no reimbursement will be made and no claim will be accepted. Madec Tours – PERU does not cover the expenses made by the traveler due to abandonment such as meals, hotel, return transportation, medical expenses, etc.
Certain Services might be interrupted or even cancelled due to weather conditions, natural disasters or other disturbances such as civil unrest, worker strikes, etc. These are out of the control of hotels, Service suppliers, Madec Tours – PERU or its partners and therefore, no refund will be given.
In case of force majeur, when a trek or tour cannot start or be completed, Madec Tours – PERU will find an alternative. If this alternative is of lower value than the originally booked tour, Madec Tous – PERU will refund the difference.
It is compulsory that all clients have personal travel insurance. This insurance must cover personal accidents, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other expenses which might arise as a result of loss, damage or injury occurring to the client. Madec Tours – PERU cannot be considered responsible for any accident or loss of personal belongings the customer caused by his/her acts
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.