After a trial period the Regional Direction of Cuture – Cusco, in charge of the conservation of the Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu, established the new visiting scheme for the Inca city:
- The Inca city will remain open to the public from 06:00 to 17:30
- You can enter until 06:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- From 07:00 to 10:00 you can visit the sector of the Inti Huatana or Solar Clock, before 07:00 and after 10:00 you can not visit only this sector.
- From 10:00 to 13:00 you can visit the sector of the Temple of the Sun, before 10:00 and after 13:00 you can not visit only this sector.
- From 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. you can visit the sector of the Temple of the Condor, before 1:00 p.m. and after 4:00 p.m., you will not be able to visit only this sector.
This measure has been taken based on the conservation of the Inca city that is within the list of World Heritage sites.
This means that if you want to visit the Inti Huatana or Solar Clock you must buy an entrance ticket between 06:00 and 09:00 am so that you have enough time to reach the Inti Huatana sector before 10:00 am in which the visit to this sector culminates.
The fact that the visitor does not enter a certain sector does not mean that he can not appreciate it, in this case he will need a long view so he can observe it at a distance from one of the observation points.
Today there are more than 5,600 visitors who receive daily the Inca city of Machu Picchu