MACHU PICCHU TREK
The Royal Inca Trail is without a doubt one of the most beautiful trails in America and therefore an unforgettable experience not to be missed.
The trail leads through the protected wild nature of the Peruvian jungle and forest steppe, passes several archaeological Inca sights and offers impressive views. The Incas used this itinerary for the pilgrimage to the sacred citadel Machu Picchu.
DAY 1: CUSCO – KM 104 – WIÑAYHUAYNA – AGUAS CALIENTES
Our journey starts early in the morning. After our arrival at KM 104 by train, the Royal Inca Trail begins with a hike to Chachabamba (2270m/7448f), where our guide will inform us about the previous function of this archaeological site.
Thereafter, we will reach Wiñayhuayna (2650m/8694f), the most important archaeological site besides Machu Picchu. After that our trail continues towards the Sun Gate “Inti Punku”, a nice viewpoint from which we can enjoy the nightfall on Machu Picchu (2400m/7874f).
Since we have to continue our walk to our hotel in Aguas Calientes, we will only spend little time in the sanctuary of Machu Picchu on the first day.
Level of difficulty: Moderate
Hiking time: 06 hours
Total distance: 12 km
DAY 2: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
We will leave our hotel towards Machu Picchu after breakfast at about 5:30am by bus.
We are leaving that early because at this time the site is less crowded and the morning is a good time to enjoy the calmness and the ancient spirit of the best-known archaeological site on the continent.
After our arrival at the citadel around 6:00am, our guide will give us detailed information about Machu Picchu and the history and culture of the Inca. Thereafter, you will have enough free time to enjoy and explore the site on your own (f.ex. go to the Inca Bridge, explore the variety of buildings or climb Huayna Picchu for an amazing panorama picture).
A bus takes you down to Aguas Calientes. Here you have the possibility to join the town’s hot springs (S/ 10.00 Soles).
We will leave Aguas Calientes in the afternoon.
Level of difficulty: normal
Hiking time: 2 hours
Total distance: 4 km
Huayna Picchu: The visit to Huayna Picchu needs to be booked long time in advance as there are only limited spaces. We charge an additional USD. 70.00
• Pre-briefing time at 19hrs in our office 1 or 2 days before your date departure (It has to be confirmed at the booking time).
• Private transfer from your hotel in Cusco to train station.
• Tourist train from Ollantaytambo to km. 104 at 7hrs 45 (Beginning of the 2-Day Inca Trail)
• Tourist train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and Collective tourist transfer from the train station in Ollantaytambo to the centre of Cusco Plaza Regocijo / Few meters of Plaza de Armas or Marriott Hotel / Calle Ruinas, beginning of San Blas neighbourhood).
• Tourist bus 2 ways between Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu.
• Entrance fee to the Inca trail and Machu Picchu.
• Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English).
• Meals during the excursion (1 breakfast, 1 box lunch, 1 dinner/option vegetarian).
• Hostel in the village of Aguas Calientes (Marco Wasi, Inka Tower or similar category).
• First-aid kit and oxygen bottle.
• International and/or domestic tickets
• Personal expenses
• Day first breakfast and last lunch in Aguas Calientes.
• Bus going downhill from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes (Day 2) where the train station is situated; you can either pay the cost of US $ 12.00 for the bus-Service or walk back to Aguas Calientes which will take you about an hour.
• Backpack with rain shelter.
• Sleeping bag.
• Clothing for warm and cold climate like a waterproof jacket.
• Rain pants and lightweight pants.
• Trekking shoes.
• Slippers or sandals (for showers and Hot Springs).
• Woollen or synthetic socks and a sweater.
• Long- and short-sleeved polo’s/T-Shirts.
• Rain poncho and a hat.
• Bathing suit (for the Hot Springs in Aguas Calientes).
• Sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets,
toiletries and toilet paper.
• Camera (wrapped in plastic bag).
• Flash light and batteries.
• Some snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruit.
• Original passport, original ISIC student card and extra money in soles.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.